There are several models of a Petsafe wireless dog fence and accessories that are available online. These are described below.
This PetSafe wireless instant fence can be used to contain dogs over eight pounds in weight safely contained in your garden. The transmitter, once plugged in sends out a radio signal which can be adjusted in a radius from five to ninety feet.
The dog wears a PetSafe wireless fence collar that has contacts against the neck. When the warning zone is breached, a tone is emitted. If the dog moves even further towards the boundary, a static correction is administered via the collar. This continues until the dog returns to allowed regions.
Features of this fence include:
- Completely wireless system
- Signal field is spherical in nature giving a circular boundary
- Covers an adjustable circular area of up to 1/2 acre (180 feet diameter)
- Should be mounted inside, 2-4 feet above the ground on a non-metal surface
- Should be kept at least 3 feet away from the utility box or large appliances
- Maximum range is 90 feet from the transmitter or 90 foot radius
- Minimum range is 5 feet from transmitter
- 5 adjustable levels of correction plus tone-only mode
- Designed not to correct during a power outage
- Receiver is constantly looking for a signal
- Will only correct when the receiver loses the signal from the transmitter
- Set up in 1 to 2 hours
- Manual included
This PetSafe wireless fence can also be used if you are traveling. You can just take the transmitter and collar with you and set it up when you arrive at your destination.
A PetSafe Dog Collar works with the PetSafe wireless fence system. If you have more than one dog you will need one of these collars for each one. They come with a beep-only training mode, and probes of differing lengths for use on both short and long-haired dogs. There is no limit to the number of pets you can contain with the system provided they all have these collars. The collar only weighs 2.5 ounces and is waterproof. It comes with 5 built-in levels of correction.
You can also buy an additional PetSafe wireless fence transmitter. This is useful if you want to extend the range of your wireless fence. The unit has a boundary control dial and includes an AC adapter.
A petsafe wireless instant fence pet containment system works by defining an area that the dog is able to move freely in. A special collar is linked to the transmitter and when the dog strays close to the boundaries, a warning tone and safe static electric shock is administered. After a period the dog will be trained in terms of knowing the boundaries and many owners have found they can even remove the collar and the dog will not stray (although this is not recommended). One of the benefits of a Petsafe wireless electric fence is that installation is very fast as there are no wires to bury.
Hopefully this has been useful for those looking at buying a PetSafe wireless fence. For more information on a underground dog fence check out the appropriate page on this site. For a general discussion on fences for dogs please refer to the home page.